Friday, April 13, 2018

Vitamins and Supplements for Autoimmune Issues


Sometimes we just never k now.  Is it an infection, it is viral, did the meds cause it? Normally I can tell when a bad day is coming.  They kind of predict themselves, ya know?

I woke up about 3:30 am with the yucks.  I had mouth sores this week and they were much worse.  Were they meds related or viral?  I tried to make the day at work, but it just wasn’t going to happen.  I spend the day in the bed alternating a cold rag, zophran and Excedrin migraine.  Gargling with warm salty water helped the mouth sores, but they are still aggravating the snot out of me.

Just another day in the rheum life, right?  If I had to guess, I’m saying viral.  With two school kids in the house, I get exposed to my fair share of germs.  I’m very diligent about hand washing but I’m not one of those sanitizer freaks.  It’s not unusual for me to catch a bug every now and then.

About a year ago, I began to take vitamins more seriously.  I take a multivitamin dosage each day.  I also alternate extra vitamin D and calcium as well as daily vitamin C.  Unfortunately my skin is to the point that sun exposure is painful, so I felt that the extra vitamin C was important.  The plus side, I’ve had noticeably less colds this year.

My rheumy is great about the vitamins and agrees that the extra D and calcium have improved my blood work.  I’ve historically had very low vitamin D as well as low iron.  I don’t like to take iron, so I try to eat scrambled eggs and spinach about twice per week cooked in an iron skillet.  That seems to be working as well. The iron is lower than the Doc would like, but not to the point of supplements.

So what do you guys do?  How do you try to keep the virus and other germ caused illnesses at bay? Do you use supplements to help keep you well?  And do you take these year round or only in the winter more germy months?

No comments:

Post a Comment