Thursday, September 6, 2012

Homemade Hot Pockets

Sorry this is such a short post.  It has been one of those extremely busy and exhausting weeks.  We started the week Tuesday with a cross country meet and haven't slowed down yet.  Between very busy days at work and tons of homework, there hasn't been any extra time for writing.  And I can tell because my stress level is through the roof!!

I will try very diligently to get back on track this weekend. My joints are achy and I realize this is a sign that my body needs rest.  So no football for me Friday night. sniff sniff  But I will be back in action for the next game.  Go Get 'em Cats!!
Hot Pocket Experiment
I finally found something Carlee would eat.  A miracle, right?  She loves the pizza pepperoni  hot pockets.  Even though these aren’t terribly expensive, I wondered could I make them at home cheaper than the $11.97 for a box of 10 at Harvey’s?
So off to the grocery store on Labor day to purchase ingredients:

Pepperoni $0.99                                        on sale for a 3 oz package (bought two and put in freezer!)
Grands Butter Biscuits $1.66                   also on sale (only made 3, used rest for breakfast!)
Hunts Spaghetti Sauce $.25                    (freeze leftovers, only used ¼)
1 cup shredded mozzarella  $1.22         (on hand from previous purchase)

Total:  $4.12        Cost per serving:  $0.515  vs Purchased:  $1.28 per serving
                            
I decided to “experiment” with smaller biscuits first.  When did they get so small?  The girls ate all of them, but the dough would not roll out large enough to put a “serving” of filling in.

For the larger grand biscuits, I rolled them out with a dough roller, smeared sauce on one side, placed about 5/6 pepperonis and covered with cheese.  I then folded over the dough and crimped the edges with a fork.  I lightly spread butter over the top and placed in a 350 degree oven for about 12/15 minutes.

After baking, I let them cool and then placed the entire baking sheet in the freezer.  After freezing, I put in zip loc bags for the lunch box. 

The Good News
All three lunch boxes came home empty.  Carlee and AnnaBelle both said that they would take them again.  These were quick and easy.  So we may try these again for Monday lunch boxes since I can make them and freeze on Sunday afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. I welcome comments and feedback!!

    thanks for reading....

    Becky

    ReplyDelete