Thursday, August 30, 2012

Menu Update Teriyaki chicken


Menu Update
I’m really trying hard to stick to our menu plan, which also helps with shopping.  We’ve had some activities and a lot of tests this week, so it has been hard. Scott was able to eat dinner with us Wednesday night, so I fixed one of his favorite meals, mini hamburger steaks, garlic mashed potatoes and green beans.  Also quick and easy.

Crockpot Teriyaki chicken
Quick and easy to mix up, was able to throw together during my 30 minute lunch.  I just somehow messed up thickening the sauce.  I served with white rice and steamed broccoli.  As usual, Maddie and AnnaBelle liked it.  Carlee at a few bites of chicken, rice and a few broccoli florets.  . 

Ingredients
2 lbs Chicken tenders
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup low sodium soy sauce
6 to 7 tsp of vinegar
Minced garlic
Minced ginger
A pinch of black pepper
2 cups of white rice
1 bag of broccoli florets (from Harveys)

Place chicken in crock pot. Mix together remaining ingredients and pour over chicken.  Cooked on low for 5 hours.  Remove chicken from liquid.  Pour liquid in a nonstick pan and thicken with mixture of 4 ½ teaspoons of cornstarch mixed in 4 ½ teaspoons of cold water.   This is the step I messed up. 

Place cooked chicken back in crockpot and cover with teriyaki sauce.  I nuked broccoli and placed on top of chicken.  Served over rice.  I was the only left over taker.  It reheated really well and I will have for lunch again Friday.

Crockpot Teriyaki chicken...found on pinterest
Mini Hamburger Steaks plus Leftovers
Scott’s loads were a little off this week due to the hurricane.  He was able to come through town and have dinner with us.  It was a treat to have dinner together as family, very rare for us during the week.  

I made one of his favorite meals, but it required going to the grocery store to pick up fresh ground chuck and some fresh square dinner rolls. This was simply easier on me, as trying to thaw out frozen meat would take too long.  I already had the other ingredients/staples on hand.  I also made a boat load of the mini hamburger steaks intentionally for leftovers.

Ingredients
3lbs ground chuck plus seasonings
Instant Garlic mashed potatoes (boxtop!)
Large can of green beans

I never make these the same and season the ground chuck with whatever I have on hand, garlic salt, black pepper, seasoned bread crumbs, etc.  I make the steaks about the size of my palm and cook in an iron skillet.  Sometimes we make onion gravy, but this time I didn’t. 

Dessert
Oatmeal Raisin cookies (for Scott made from Miss Betty’s cookie dough sale)
Peanut butter cookies
 
Leftovers were great.  All three girls took two hamburger steak sliders to school for lunch.  I even had them for dinner Thursday night.  We have a few left but I’m sure Scott will finish them off when he gets in Friday afternoon.  He loves a cheeseburger!!  The sliders were a very easy leftover for a school lunch for me to fix!!

Trying something new
Breakfast in the crockpot?  Trying a recipe I found on pinterest…cinnamon biscuits.  They were easy to throw together.  I will share with you how they turn out later.  If they are really good, maybe this will be something easy for Friday morning prayer breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment