Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Adaptive Mama

Welcome to my newest writing venture…The Adaptive Mama.  Why Adaptive?  Well if I’ve learned anything since giving birth to Maddie it is you better be able to adapt.  No two or three kids are the same…and my beautiful girls are the epitome of differences.

Me…Rebecca, Becky, Mama
I am married to Scott. Mama to Maddie, Carlee and AnnaBelle.  Daughter to Robert and Judy.  Co- worker, friend and sports fan…NASCAR, SEC football, NCAA women’s basketball.

 I have searched the blogosphere and could not find the right voice that addresses where my family currently is at and where we hope to be going.  The back ground of our lives is soon to be undergoing significant changes.

 The catalyst to a lot of our ongoing changes is my health, the 1000lb gorilla in the room that is always lurking, maybe not intimidating today, but there.  I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Autoimmune Disease over one year ago.  Some days are great, some are not.  Currently I’m trying to find another RA doctor while also addressing some of the wonderful treatment side effects.

 Our Family and The Thorpettes

Scott, my hubby and my best friend, I constantly tell him how lucky he is…we met working for a race team and both love football.  That is a lucky man!!

 Maddie is my sporty chic…she has about played it all (except football) and still wants the school to add volleyball.  She has been in several beauty pageants and loves to sing.  Go figure! Maddie will be in 8th grade and has already picked out a car for her 16th birthday.  Sadly, I think she is a sportier version of me.

Carlee, our middle daughter, is by far the prissiest thing I’ve ever seen.  She is starting Middle School this year much to my terror.  I’m just not ready for two in middle school.  This one is Scott made over…she has a lightening quick sense of humor and is genuinely kindhearted; never fear…there is a lot of English in this one.

AnnaBelle, our bonus baby, has so much personality.  She is bold and abrasive at times, but always laughing.  She was Carlee’s baby and still loves to play with baby dolls. She currently wants a bandalero race car.  You should see what she did to the fence with the golf cart. God help us all!

Mimi and Poppy, my parents, are the primary reason we relocated from the ATL to south Georgia.  We wanted the girls to grow up knowing their grandparents and cousins. Mimi doesn’t miss a game or event.  Poppy doesn’t get out too much, but he does a great job puppy sitting!

Gracie is our miniature dachshund and the best behaved of the Thorpe clan. She stays with Mimi and Poppy during the week and visits with us on the weekends.  Very. Smart. Dog.

Home Sweet Home

And lastly our home...one year after retuning down south from the ATL, we purchased a large rambling brick home on four acres.  We knew it needed extensive renovations, but loved the location and the yard. Well, nearly six years later, many of those renovations have been put on hold.  Scott and I are desperately trying to work out a plan to start turning this amazing house into the home we originally envisioned.

 What I Plan to write About

Granted this may change but I have identified several areas that I can’t find a resources in the blogosphere that address my needs:

a.        Budgeting: balance for our family expenditures that address current needs and future plans.
b.        Time Management: my work, the kid’s school work, afterschool activities, family time, church time and a clean house!!
c.        Health issues: mine as well as incorporating more healthy lifestyle with our family.
d.      Working on our house, renovations, new roof, carport, bathrooms… 

These are my personal priority areas.  I’m sure that not all members of our household agree with the order of priority….the girls badly want a pool while I’m lobbying for a new roof.  Please follow along as we negotiate through the next few months.  I’m sure it will be entertaining if nothing else!

No comments:

Post a Comment