Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Menu Update: Crock Pot Lasagne

Again, I had my doubts that this would actually work.  Lasagna is normally one of those more labor than it’s worth to make at home.  But since the ingredient list was short and it was going to “cook” itself, I thought why not give it a try.

It worked!!  Again, my crockpot impressed me.  I cooked my sauce the night before and put in the fridge overnight.  I assembled everything in the crockpot Monday morning about 6ish a.m.  It took about oh, ten minutes, max.

Ingredients
Sauce:  two cans of sauce with browned turkey/ground beef
16 oz. Ricotta cheese
1 egg
8 oz. mozzarella cheese
Lasagna noodles

I mixed the egg, ricotta cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, and then began layering.
 
·         First layer: sauce to cover the bottom of the crockpot, about 1 ½ cups.

·         Second layer: Noodles…I broke them to fit and overlapped in some areas…could have added more noodles in hindsight.  So double up if you want…they will cook.

·         Third layer: cheese to cover noodles, spreading evenly.  If you have a cheesy family add, some more mozzarella on top of the cheese mixture.

·         Repeat two more times.

Turned Crockpot on low and left it to cook.  It cooked on low from 6:30 to 12:30, about six hours.  I went home at lunch and turned it off.  It was still warm when I got home from work but I turned the crockpot back on and let it warm.  I am buying myself a programmable crock pot for my birthday so I can program the start time…less running home at lunch.

Reviews
Maddie and AnnaBelle thought it was great and took leftovers to school for lunch.  As usual fickle Carlee wouldn’t touch it. But she will eat spaghetti by the boat load.  Go figure.  I had planned to serve with steamed broccoli.  We didn’t get that far.  If you want to hide a vegetable, you could add some chopped spinach to the sauce.

We will make this one again!

No comments:

Post a Comment