Wednesday, August 8, 2012

House Renovations Summary


Well I put the pencil to paper and made a list of the ALL the renovations that we would like to do to our house.  This is in addition to a great deal of work we did ourselves prior to moving in May 2006.  We started replacing windows over 18 months ago.  Nothing like getting a dining room window for Christmas! 
Due to my health and related bills as well as having one of our two semi-trucks dead, we haven’t had the funds to stay on pace with our planned repairs. Guess that is why you punt in football.  So here is the list of repairs…and they are in my priority order.  Of course we have a wish list of non-necessary items…you know girls can dream.

1.       Roof….we MUST get a roof ASAP.  It has some damage due to several storms and is getting worse.

2.       Windows…we don’t have that many more to go.  We started on the back side of the house and have been working our way around. We have 7 small windows and 1 large triple window left.  Plus I would like French doors in the family room on the back of the house.  That is currently a triple window that needs replacing.

3.       Deck…this is a want…I want a deck off the family room’s new-to-be French doors.  We had a deck in Jasper and I loved sitting out there while the girls played.  Of course, it was much, much cooler up there! And fall deck time was wonderful.

4.       Master bath…due to my RA and the age of the master bath, it needs refurbishing.  The original tile from 1950 is still in there.  And it has held up amazingly well.  But we need to replace plumbing fixtures and  the only way that is going to happen is to gut more than half the bath.  So…Voila…new Master Bath for me.

5.       Hall bath…also needs updating.  It was the bomb in 1950 with a separate shower and tub.  But only one sink.  And that is not enough sink space for three girls.

6.       Kitchen Fluff…the Kitchen is avocado green straight from 1974.  I’ve learned to ignore it.  I have a beige extra wide stove, off center sink and a huge pantry.  Love the wide stove and pantry.  Not so much the avocado green.  I would like to add a double oven, new counter tops, new stove and some paint.  I would love granite counter tops but my frugal side says let’s put that money into something else…like an outdoor kitchen area in the new carport.

7.       Carport…we currently park in the back of the house with no garage or carport.  I would love, love, love to have some type of covered parking.  I would like to have a bonus room/with a bath at the end of the carport for future old people space.

8.       Lastly the pool…the girls are driving us batty for a pool.  For years I have resisted.  It is a whole in the ground that you just pour money into.  But I have finally nearly caved.  It is too hot and I’m tired of hearing that there is nothing to do (clean the house maybe?)  We truly would love a pool; it would be great for my RA and it does get extremely hot down here.  But notice the pool is at the bottom of the list. 


Total Cost:  About $72,000 and that is NOT finishing a game room/old people bonus space or my beloved outdoor kitchen.  Yes…that is a lot of money.  No…I don’t have that much just lying around.  But we are saving and paying for some repairs as we go.  Truly hoping that with two semis on the road, we can get our renovations program back up and running this October with that new roof and a few more windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment