Monday, May 20, 2013

Homemade BBQ Sauce

In preparation of not being about to do a whole lot of cooking over the next few weeks, I finally got my big behind in gear and starting doing a little freezer cooking.  Yesterday evening after a whirlwind trip to the big Dawg city, I cooked about 4 pounds of ground critter in the crock pot (your choice…sometimes it’s deer, turkey or cow).   This time I drained it and then seasoned with my homemade taco seasoning and one can of chili tomatoes.

Two gallon size bags are now in the freezer holding about 1 ½ pounds of cooked taco meat each.  The rest is in a container in the fridge for tonight’s dinner.  Smart me!!  In discussing what else we would like this week, HC2 declared she wanted some BBQ meat.
This translates into a Boston butt (pork roast) in the crock pot, which I’d already told y’all about once before.  She was in luck as we had one in the big freezer.  It is now nearly done in the big crock pot.  Sadly, I am completely out of BBQ sauce.

This put me on a mission to find a 98% homemade sauce recipe.  I hunted around on pinterest but most sauces were ketchup based.    Fortunately, being born Baptist and liking to eat, I have a lot of church cookbooks.  I flipped through a few of these cookbooks and found one to serve as my “guide”.  I know this could be dangerous.
The base of this sauce is conned tomato sauce.  I wanted to make enough to use for our dinner and baste the roast.  I think I will have plenty since I nearly quadrupled the recipe.

 
1 large can of tomato sauce
1 cup brown sugar
¾ cup of vinegar
4 or 5 Tbsp. of brown spicy mustard
2 Tbsp. of dehydrated onion
1 Tbsp. of paprika
½ tsp. of garlic salt/seasoning
½ tsp. of cayenne pepper
Pinch of salt and dash of black pepper (maybe two)

Once the ingredients all “melted” including the brown mustard, I let it come to a gentle boil then reduce the heat.  It is not a thick sauce.  If you like it thicker, maybe add a little cornstarch or simmer longer.

This is a sweet n tangy sauce.  You can definitely taste the mustard and hint of garlic.  I would like it a bit hotter but don’t think that would go over too well with the kiddos.  Keep on tasting until you get it the way you want it.  For now, since I haven’t recycled an old ketchup bottle, I have poured it into an old cheese canister.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment