Wednesday, May 1, 2013

UPDATE: Homemade Laundry Detergent

Or How to Make $108 Per Hour

Just made the 2nd batch...again it took much longer to assemble my antique food processor than to mix it all together.  I am staying with the same "recipe" for right now.  The clothes appear to be clean and smell fine, so I'm not going to change anything up.

The 2nd best news:  I still have enough washing soda and borax for at least two more makings, effectively reducing the cost per batch to really cheap.  I originally bought the washing soda, borax and two bars of soap from Walmart.

The washing soda was about $3.50, borax $5.00 plus each bar of soap was $.94. I will have four makings out of this for a total cost of about $3 per batch.  That is 12 weeks of laundry or $4 per month vs my normal expenditure of $13 per on detergent alone. 

So even though I'm only saving $9 per month, that equals $108 per year.  At five minutes for batch, that is one hour per year of my time.  I only wished that I made $108 per hour back in my working days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment