Monday, May 13, 2013

We Will Just Sit on the Floor

Our impending move is almost here.  I suddenly realized, duh…we must have some additional furniture.  Our plans are to be back and forth between both houses.  When we are home, we will still need beds, pots and pans and something to sit on.

So Mimi, Maddie and I went to Albany to look around.  My original game plan was to find some of the basics used on Craig’s list; table, sofa, dressers, etc. My husband, the nicey nice germ-phobic, went all “yuck” on me.  I’m like OK, I’ll go look at new stuff.   Besides, most of what we have is old or hand me downs.  It would be wonderful to have brand spanking new “adult” furniture.
Or so I thought. Boy did I get my feelings hurt.  Since when did the price of furniture nearly double? Mattresses, most especially, have gone up since we last purchased one new nearly 7 years ago.  And for the record, I have great taste.  Or at least the price tags that I had the nerve to flip over said I had great taste.

I’ve never been a dress to impress, drive to impress or “house” to impress type of person.  I am more of a good quality, long lasting purchaser.  I’ve never bought much into any type of trendy stuff.  My style has definitely evolved into sturdy stable Southern Living without all the flowers. By the time we had hit the fourth furniture store, my “style” had reverted back to garage sale and I was ready to go home.
I had a list, and really just wanted to get an idea of how much new stuff cost as opposed to used.  However, between the wallet shock and my joints screaming in pain, I think returning to plan A is our best option.  So it’s back to Craig’s list perusing for high quality furnishing from those trendy folks that like to redo.  Not only will that help me stick to my “budget”, my knees will love me for it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment