Thursday, May 16, 2013

Preparing to go Low Carb/Kind of Gluten Free

The past couple of weeks, as suggestions by family and a few forum friends, I have been researching gluten and its effects on the autoimmune system.  Wow!!  Who knew? It has amazed me at how much I have learned not only about RAD, but about the whole spectrum of autoimmune diseases including celiac disease. 

There is a ton of information out there and I have read so much that my head hurts…pun intended my migraine friends.  I can’t recall all of the data, but the gist of it is today’s modified wheat is much higher in gluten than what our grand and great grandparents ate.  This could be leading to an increase in the many people whose bodies respond in a negative way to gluten.
And by gluten I don’t just mean white bread.  The stuff is everywhere…cookies, cream soup, gravy mixes.  It is truly difficult to comprehend how much gluten is in the foods we buy and consume each day.  I am very overwhelmed and have been for about a week.

It is difficult to determine where to start.  Weight watchers has been working for me until I went back on prednisone for a week.  I think it would be possible to low carb/less gluten using the weight watchers plan.  I’m still researching this part so I will get back with you on this.
I’ve read part of the blond chick from The View, Elisabeth Hasselbeck's journey to a celiac diagnosis.  It is heartbreaking at how she suffered and amazing at how she has overcome its debilitating effects.  It does give me hope that through the right combination of meds, diet and exercise that I can recoup some former quality of my life.

My goal isn’t to run marathons or swim the English Channel.  I simply want to get back to a point of feeling well with enough energy to accomplish each day’s events.  So please bear with me as I start to eliminate all this wheat.  I’m pretty sure my family won’t enjoy this and it won’t be easy.  I’d certainly appreciate your prayers and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment