Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Menu Planning for May

I’m trying really hard to plan ahead for the next three weeks of May.  After you quit laughing, please keep reading.  I have been so diligent these past two months, trying new recipes seeking something different to add to our favorite standbys.  I’ve had a few hits and quite a few misses. 

I can’t be the only person that gets tired of cooking the same thing, over and over.  I keep trying to tell my three little darlings, we can try something new.  I promise not to poison any of you.  Just keep trying. 
Tonight’s requests: spaghetti from one, taco night from another.  Again?  It’s just not happening.  I may revert to another old main stay of the Thorpe house, little (as in mini) hamburger steaks with homemade mashed potatoes and green beans.   But for the rest of the month, I am going to find at least one more ground beef recipe to try and one more crock pot recipe.

What to do with this?????

The only way for us to stay out of the drive through is to work on that meal plan.  We are well known at the Dairy Queen.  I guess it is a good thing that my crowd has never met a cow they didn’t like.  They love hamburgers.  We do grill a lot this time of year but right now I’m looking for “inside” recipes.
So if you have any suggestions or a family favorite that doesn’t involve hamburger helper, please send it on.  Preferably really quick while I’ve got out this calendar!

2 comments:

  1. Baseball season begins tonight so this is timely. A lot of nights we eat on the run so I try to make sure there is something everyone can help themselves to.

    Here are a few of my favorites. These aren't fancy!!!! And most of the time I just add a salad. I just don't have time for anything more.

    Baked Potato Bar - bake your potatoes in the crock pot.

    Chicken drumsticks cooked in crock pot in bbq sauce.

    Chicken breasts with onion soup mix (or homemade equivalent)

    Pork tenderloin--serve on hoagie rolls with mozzarella and a little pizza sauce.
    (This is what's in my crock pot right now. I buy huge tenderloins at BJs and cut them into thirds so I'll have a couple in my freezer at all times. I freeze leftovers in single-serve sizes for quick lunches (and single-serve around here is man-size!)

    Taco meat--I brown 5 lbs of ground beef at a time in my crock pot, drain, then put it back in with taco seasoning. We eat for one meal then I freeze the rest.

    If I think if any more, I'll be sure to post.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gigi!! Those are great suggestions, especially with Maddie starting basketball and softball in 3 weeks!! Love the idea of the drumsticks in crock pot. Duh haven't tried that yet. And haven't tried cooking hamburger in crock pot. So much easier because the constant stirring kills my bad wrist!

    ReplyDelete