Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Cimzia Update

I was the dart board like recipient of my 3rd round of injections this past Sunday.  My mother is still getting way too much pleasure out of these injections.  I may have to find another nurse! My injections were running one week behind due to finishing up some taxes.  This last go around, I didn’t have any major symptoms, just felt really yuck and tired.  The headache didn’t show up until later in the evening.  This morning, I’m still tired but up trying to check a few to do’s off my list.

The only symptom benefit thus far has been a reduction of the sjogrens: less dry mouth and not having to use the eye drops daily.  I am supposed to take injections every two weeks.  I can assure you that stretching that out to three weeks was too far.  By the end of the 3rd week, the sjogrens symptoms had retuned.  At this point, I can’t say that the RAD pain has lessened any.
So I went to the discussion boards, reading up on this biologic.  There don’t seem to be as many people taking it.  And it does appear to take several months, 4-6 by some accounts, to get noticeable relief.  And most people are taking it in conjunction with other medications such as methotrexate.  Which makes me shudder just to type.  MTX was a horrible treatment for me.

I am still using the white knuckle approach to the pain.  However, the inflammation has become “system” wide and now I think it’s time to call the doctor and get some type of steroid kick.  Have I mentioned that I’m not fond of steroids?  Mainly the weight gain, but I get extra cranky when on them for an extended time.
So some more research later I found that many patients routinely will take a 3-5 day course of prednisone starting with a 30 mg punch, then 20, and finally 10.  Or even starting with a higher dose and stepping down over the 5 days.  These patients are stating that a shorter course of prednisone is enough to give a 3-4 week relief from their current flair.   The benefit is NOT taking prednisone at a lower dose for an extended time.

In the meantime, I’ve decided to add walking a few days a week and light weight lifting on the opposite days.  Light, as in 15 minute walks and maybe 10 minutes of weights and so far so good.

2 comments:

  1. I'm taking Humira now and have been for 4 years. I'm not sure it is as effective as before and the next likely drug for me would be Cimzia. It took me months to realize that the Humira was working.
    Just like my RA is considered to be 'smouldering' I think the drugs also take their time with me.

    Hopefully you can get back to the self you used to be

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annette!! I am trying to be patient and give the Cimzia time to work. I've noticed small changes...hoping that in a few months I can tell a bigger difference.

    ReplyDelete