Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Sante Fe Chicken

Crock Pot Quick and Easy

This is one of those recipes that comes together quick.  As I worked on menu planning yesterday, I wanted to try something new in the crock pot and it had to be chicken.  After searching around pinterest and the net I found several versions of Santa Fe Chicken.  So I basically tweaked it to fit my family's taste.

First I went through the pantry and the kitchen table looking for ingredients. (Don't ask, I've been trying to organize the pantry. Sigh.) Lucky me...this recipe calls for basic pantry staples and I had them all.


If you can open cans, you can make this.  I layered the ingredients: homemade chicken stock, diced tomatoes with chilies, corn, black beans and spices.

homemade chicken stock


A word on the homemade chicken stock...I have several chicken casserole recipes that call for boiled chicken breast.  I season the chicken while cooking and normally have this huge pot of seasoned broth.  So I freeze it for use later.  Either strain through cheese cloth or let chill over night in the refrigerator.  After skimming any fat from the top, dip out with a coffee cup and put in freezer proof container.  You could also use a freezer bag.  It is lower in sodium than the canned stuff and tastes better too.

Place the chicken in the pot on top of ingredients and cook for 6-8 hours on low.  I am cooking on high for four hours.  Once chicken is done, remove and shred.  Return to the crock pot and give it a quick stir.  At this point, I plan to cook on low for about two more hours.


We will have this with leftover rice from last night and corn tortillas.  I've also got my homemade salsa to serve with it.  My girls should really enjoy this.  I also like that it can be served over the rice or as filling in tacos or burritos.

Recipe:
3 to 4 skinned chicken breast
1 can chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes with chilies
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can black beans
1 tsp of dehydrated onions
1/2 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 tsp of onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
**note** if you have made the homemade taco seasoning a teaspoon of it would probably work too.  You can also add some "heat" if your family lots hot with their spicy!

I will update y'all with a review tomorrow.  Now go drag out your crock pot and let it work while you enjoy this gorgeous day with your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment