Sunday, April 14, 2013

Faith and Health

It was raining this morning and I was sleeping sooo good. My bones were achy and for a slight minute I was so tempted to roll over and keep on sleeping. I have been very busy this past week working on taxes, running children around and trying to get our trucking business better organized.  I’m also known as Scott’s secretary and bookkeeper, errand runner and parts fetcher.

But I rolled out of bed and prepared to go to early church services.  Early, as in 8:30 a.m. early. And it was raining, you know I might melt.  Or get lumpy.  And my knees hurt.  I gimped into the Warehouse through the rain thankful for a hot cup of coffee, delivered by the best teenage coffee maker in South Georgia.  After a great music service and message, not only was I in a better mood, I felt better.
I am very grateful for a contemporary service where I can dress down and not worry that someone might be offended by my casual attire.  There is nothing like attending church in blue jeans and a hoodie in the winter and capri's and sandals in summer.  (My fellow RAD folks know how difficult just getting dressed can be!)

I really don’t care what science says, I know that there is something about a great worship service and Sunday school lesson that makes you physically feel better.  No matter what type of chronic illness you may have, faith can lift your spirits and well-being.
Our scripture this morning was from Hebrews 12 about perseverance and running a race.  Pastor Ken used a marathon as an analogy of faith.  What a perfect reminder for those of us that have chronic illness...approach that illness like a marathon, train daily, be steadfast and persevere through the hard days. 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment