Thursday, April 25, 2013

And it's a Hit

     It wasn’t my intention to instantly please the picky eater.  On this one, I just got lucky.  In moving around stuff in my big freezer, I found a sirloin roast.  I thought hmmm, haven’t had a roast with onions and carrots in a long time.  And this is something that can cook while I do other stuff…namely my new admin duties for CST.
    
     I decided to drag out my electric skillet.  It is a marvelous gadget that currently resides in the camper.  It is versatile and great for warming up spaghetti sauce or taco meat at the lake or for cooking Sunday breakfast.  It is sold at Wally world and we use ours a lot.


          
    This is about as simple and easy as it can get.  It doesn’t take long to assemble and get back to your to do list.  So gather up a couple bags of carrots, an onion, and one can of cream of mushroom soup, and your choice of seasoning. Preheat the skillet to about 250 and lightly spray or add a couple tablespoons of olive oil.  If you have never used an electric skillet, the heat will cycle so don’t freak if it seems to turn itself off. 



    I normally chop the onion and lay it around the roast.  While the roast begins to cook, I wash, peel and slice carrots.  Rheum tip: I will probably buy the mini bagged ones next go round.  My wrist was worn out after chopping two bags of carrots.  Also, if you can't chop, most larger grocery stores carry the chopped fresh onions.



    Once the roast has cooked for an hour or so, I added the can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of water.  (I have been using my own cream of soup mix.  However, I had a few cans in my pantry that I need to use.)  Whisk around the soup and it will eventually thicken and make gravy.  Then add the carrots, cover and go roll over your laundry.



    I let the roast cook on a low temperature until the carrots are done.  This is great served with mashed potatoes or rice and leseur peas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment