Thursday, March 21, 2013

Cimzia Update

Warning: Medical talk…a teeny bit graphic for the needle queasy type.

My new meds came in last Thursday all packed up and surrounded by cold packs.  Having no idea what was in there, I eagerly opened the box.  Wow!  The syringes were really cute and get this, designed ergonomically for RAD patients.
Since I didn’t want to “lose” the weekend, I decided to inject Sunday evening.  And although these adorable little vials of medicine are friendly to the joint challenged community, I still had to rely on my Mother to handle the sticking part.  Which, by the way, she does with entirely too much relish.  Being right handed is proven to be a challenge since my right wrist is permanently knitted together.  I am still learning to conquer the world as a leftie. Smiley face.

I read the instructions several times.  She read them too.  I also read the white paper included in the box, seeking out those side effects in the finest of print.  I didn’t see anything abnormal, other than immediate death by heart attack, so we proceeded onward.
Now when this pack says inject at a 45 degree angle like a dart that is what it means.  The needles are not very sharp and not tiny either.  So the first injection wasn’t pleasant and the meds burn.  The directions said to inject in fat and if using two injections put one in stomach and one in the leg.  Oh well.  My belly is wide enough for two injections per me, one on the left and one on the right.

The most common side effect, watch the injection site for rash or reaction, did not occur.  Yippee!! And as far as other side effects, I’m doing OK.  I have had a dull headache this week that has gradually gotten better and I’ve been a little achy and tired.  It is hard to tell if it is the cool damp weather or the injection.  I know my bones are ready for some warmth…these last two weeks have been painful.  Nothing I can’t handle with a little ibuprofen. 
The doctor offered prednisone until I could get the meds in my system good.  I said no thanks.  Let me tough it out.  I’ve been making very slow progress on weight loss and didn’t want to give up that ground to a steroid bump.

The best think about Cimzia is I don’t inject again for two weeks.  I will take another “double” dose followed by a third double dose in two additional weeks.  Hopefully at that time, I can go on the maintenance dosage of one vial every two weeks.  After about 12 weeks, I might be able to inject monthly.  So here’s to praying this is the biologic that will work for me and ease the disease progression.  I badly want to get back to a “normal” life.

No comments:

Post a Comment