Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Homemade Taco Seasoning

I made my mix on Sunday afternoon, trying diligently to get all of my goals for the prior week accomplished.  And this was one of them.  I had some of the spices in my pantry.  However, I also bought some new because I couldn’t tell how old and didn’t know how long the spices had been in the pantry.  Probably, since we moved in nearly 7 years ago.  Yes, it has been that long.

So I gathered up all the spices and the recipe that I was planning to loosely follow.  I also had a pack of taco seasoning in the pantry and had previously read all of its ingredients.   Oooh Yuck! Many words which I can’t pronounce and that ain’t because they are Spanish words.  Talk about scientific and in our food.

 
The following is the “recipe” I used and multiplied by 9.  I figured if I was gonna stand there and measure, I wanted enough spice to last a while.  We eat homemade Mexican a lot at our house.  “A” has been lobbying for Taco Tuesday for some time and “C” will eat chips, meat and cheese when she won’t eat anything else.

1tbsp chili powder
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. onion powder
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper (I used cayenne pepper)
¼ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. paprika
1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. salt (you may want more to your family’s taste)
1 tsp. pepper

 


What I learned…this is probably cheaper if you and a friend, or two, go to Sam’s and buy the chili powder, cumin and paprika in the $4.88 canister.  Maybe pick up a bottle of wine and voila!  You have a spice party!! The Sam’s size spices would make plenty of homemade seasoning for several people due to only using small quantities of the other spices.

Also, I up-cycled an empty peanut butter jar and washed it thoroughly. (Y’all like that term…my Grannies had no clue that saving all those mayo jars and peanut butter jars was recycling! Who knew???)

No comments:

Post a Comment