Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Health Update...New Meds coming soon

New Meds

I was diagnosed a little over two years ago with rheumatoid autoimmune disease.  (It ain’t arthritis people.  I only wish.) My first line of treatment was lots of Aleve and prednisone.  And wallah!! Gained 20 pounds.  My doctor finally put me on methotrexate (MTX) and it was absolutely horrible.  I started at a pretty high dose and my system just couldn’t tolerate it.
I made rounds to several doctors seeking to “relieve” the side effects but to no avail.  MTX just didn’t work for me.  Frustrated with the two doctors who wouldn’t communicate I stopped all treatment except for some ibuprofen.  My thoughts were dang.  I’m either frying my liver or frying my stomach.  Give me fried stomach and a G tube.

Alas, that was a bad decision.  During the 8 months that I self-medicated and self-treated, I back pedaled. HARD.  My right wrist is permanently knitted together and my knees, especially the left one are shot out.  Plus my hips drive me bonkers.  So if you are new to RAD, TAKE YOUR MEDS.
I didn’t realize just how quickly the disease could degenerate my joints.  Add the Sjogren’s syndrome attacking my moisture glands and it has become a big whopping barrel of crappiness.  In November, (maybe after a recommendation from the family orthopedic which I’m sure came from insistence from my mother), I sought out a different Doctor.  He is very young.  But cute so that helps.

He recommended changing meds and suggested I tried Arava.  It had lessened side effects when compared to the MTX (no nausea, less headache, pill and not injection).  However, I continued to have the same female related side effect. 
I have been off treatment for about 7 weeks and am beginning to really feel the stiffness in my joints.  So thankful for my electric blanket collection and assorted heating pads, without them, I wouldn’t have made it through this cold weather.

Due to the rapid decline in joints, especially this left knee, he recommended a try a biologic.  This is what I requested from the first doctor, aggressive treatment.  Finally.   I am also fortunate that I can get help from the pharmaceutical company.  
My meds should arrive tomorrow.  I will be taking Cimzia by injections and I will rely on my mother to help me with those.  Right hand no bendy, therefore no self injections for me.

I have been online today reading the Cimzia literature and trying to figure out whether to expect side effects.  Previously injection day was Saturday evening so I could take my chemo cocktail and sleep most of the nausea off.  Praying this goes easier and my disease progression will lessen.  Maybe even stop.

I truly want a treatment that works so my family can figure out our “new” normal and get on with getting on.  So stay tuned…I’ll update on the new meds next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment