Friday, March 29, 2013

Don’t buy that stuff in a Jar

Home Made Salsa

A cruising of my overflowing slightly dysfunctional pantry revealed an absence of a jar of salsa. Salsa – a condiment – one that the Thorpe children, all three of them, eat a lot of.  So on the grocery list it goes. 
Once at the store and after reading all the ingredients (Just what is monosulphates?)  I determined I can make this stuff myself and probably just as economical as buying a big jug of it at sams.  Of course, I turned to pinterest where I found literally dozens of recipes for homemade salsa.

Some used canned tomatoes, some fresh and some fresh and roasted.  Now I’m all about trying to eat healthy and fresher foods.  But I’m going to draw the line at roasting.  Also, tomatoes aren’t in season and are too expensive at the grocery store to use fresh.  That narrowed it down to using canned tomatoes for this experiment.
I also had to do some climbing for this one.  My big food processor is in the pantry on the top shelf.  You know, out of the way.  Of course Scott put it up there.  So if this gets posted before noon today, it means that I didn’t fall and break anything getting that monster down.

Good news:  I didn’t fall and managed to pull it down by the cord AND it didn’t land on my head.  Then I gave it a bath, completely submerging it in hot soapy water.  I worked with a couple of germaphobes way too long. Now hoping I don’t get electrocuted.

I found several basic recip1es and combined them to the following:
2 cans of diced tomatoes with chilies
½ small onion
1 glove of garlic peeled and smashed OR
1 tsp. of garlic powder OR
1 tsp. of minced garlic (my choice but not all 3, unless you have vampires in the family)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
Pinch or sugar or tsp. of honey ( I’m using honey)
Small bunch of cilantro
Squeeze juice of 1/2 of lime

Combine in food processor or blender and process until smooth.  Give it a taste and adjust seasoning.  I liked this recipe because it didn’t have a lot of salt.  So definitely adjust to your taste.  I also did not add any additional jalapeno peppers.  If you like it hot, go ahead and add some peppers too!

Once you get it flavored up, place in a jar/container and refrigerate.  I imagine this will really get “gooder” as it sits.
 
 

          “Gooder” – and HC2 term that is a word, at least at our house.

Enjoy with your favorite chips.  Now I need to find a hiding place in the fridge or else I’ll be making another batch before next week!



***UPDATE***

Do not use your food processor.  It made a big old mess.  Transferred to the blender and it literally took 30 seconds.  It is amazing salsa.  If I can learn how to fry chips we may never eat at another Mexican restaurant again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment