Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Update on Brownie Mix

My largest mixing bowl, and it is a big one, would not hold the 8 cups. So I had to do some math, and some algebra.  Yuck.  But I figured it out.  Plus I only had self rising flour.  So I left out the baking powder and the salt. 

After the above mathematics, I mixed together ingredients, reducing the recipe by 3/4.  I also substituted 2 cups of stevia for 2 cups of sugar.  This added to the cost, but it was my personal preference. I also added per the request of C about 1/2 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips.

The batter tasted very sweet.  I mixed up per the 1/2 cup of oil, 1/3 cup water but used two eggs because they were small.  I also baked in a 8X10ish glass pan for about 18 minutes at 350.  Since my oven gets a overheated at times, I might have left them in a few minutes too long so watch closely. 

M and I both agreed a tiny bit dry.  So either I will reduce cooking time or add more moisture/oil.  Cost per batch all sugar mix $1.13. Cost per batch with stevia $1.30.  So, cheaper than the $1.25 per mix at the Wally World and a whole lot healthier.

This is a very sweet and chocolaty brownie.  To reduce per batch cost, the cocoa can be bought in bulk from Sam's and the sugar could probably be reduced.

Click on picture to take you to post with Brownie mix recipe.





 
Homemade and fresh from the oven...

No comments:

Post a Comment